A delicious way to use a glut of fruit or windfall apples...•
Posted on 30 July 2018
If you have windfall apples this is the recipe for you. However, this tart can also be made with apples, pears, plums, raspberries, strawberries..... or a mix of fruits.
It is a cooked tart with a custard filling, that can be eaten hot or cold. Once you have made it once, you will definitely want to make it again, and of course it will be easier the next time round. The trick to a good pastry is not to over handle it and to make sure that it is cold before putting it in the oven. Hence the reason I keep mentioning to put it in the fridge.
Windfall Apple Tarte Francaise
Preparation: 20 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes Serves:
5oz (125g) plain flour
1 1/2oz (30g) icing sugar
3oz (75g) butter
A small amount of cold water
3 medium sized cooking apples (or equivalent windfall)
4oz (100g) raspberries – or another cooking apple
5 floz (150ml) milk
2 floz (50ml) cream
1 large egg
2oz (50g) caster sugar
- Grease your 9” flan tin well. Put it in the fridge.
- Put the flour, icing sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl. Rub the butter into the flour to make a fine breadcrumb texture. Add enough cold water very carefully to make a firm dough. If you put too much water in add a little more flour.
- Roll it out and place in the cold baking tin. Put in fridge.
- Turn the oven on to 180° /350°/ Gas mark 4.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Prettily place the apples on the pastry, then add the raspberries. Put in fridge.
- In a measuring jug put the milk, cream, egg and sugar. Whisk until well mixed.
- Pour over the pastry and fruit.
- Put in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- When serving cold, it is nice to sieve a little icing sugar on the top as a decoration.
Pippa Greenwood: Haxnicks December Gardening tips
Here are my Haxnicks December Gardening Tips to lead you up to Christmas. Its time to grab a bucket, scrubbing brush and sponge and a long-handl...Read More
Leaf Picker - the easy way to collect autumn leaves
The Hanicks Leaf Picker is a new fast and efficient way to tackle the task of leaf collection in your garden. It has a clever pick up and discard m...Read More
Introducing Haxnicks new traditionally crafted garden tools
We are proud to announce the launch of our new traditionally crafted and high-quality tools, built on tradition with a ten-year guarantee. They wil...Read More