Lush Leftovers: Soy, Chilli Brussels Sprouts with leeks & carrots•
Posted on 25 December 2018
I'm thinking you will have leftover sprouts from christmas dinner to use up so here is a lovely quick recipe. Years of careful breeding mean that sprouts are no longer as bitter as they once were and this new sweetness, combined with the honey and soy might just convert sprout haters. If you can get them to try it...
- 250g (8oz) Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 small onion finely sliced
- 2cm (1in) piece fresh ginger, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely sliced (or used chilli flakes or dried chilli to taste if you don't have fresh)
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 150g (5oz) dried noodles
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the sprouts and cook for 5 minutes, or until just softened. Drain and rinse under cold water. Pat dry and set aside. If your sprouts are already cooked then miss this step out and skip to step 2. You may wish to leave them whole rather than halving them if they are already quite soft.
- Cook the noodles according to pack instructions and run under cold water and set aside. Or you can use 'straight to wok' ones if you have these to hand.
- Put the oil in a wok over a medium high heat. Add the leek and onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until softened. Add the sprouts, stir-fry for 2 minutes more, then add the garlic, ginger and chilli. Stir-fry for a further minute, until fragrant, then add the carrot. Stir fry for 1 minute more then add the soy sauce and honey. Toss to combine.
- Add the noodles and stir-fry until combined and heated through. Serve.
Three Sisters Planting - for superior Sweetcorn, Squash &...
When most people think of companion planting it is usually to add crops that smell strongly and deter predators. So planting mint beside lettuce to...Read More
Product Bite: Haxnicks Kitchen Garden Cloche
What is a Kitchen Garden Cloche? The Kitchen Garden Cloche is a high quality durable growing cover made from galvanised black powder coated steel ...Read More
Pippa Greenwood: Haxnicks Tomato Growing tips for May
So here are my veg and tomato growing tips for May plus what to look out for in the greenhouse & garden If you’ve got a greenhouse then your t...Read More