Carrot or Courgette Cake•
Posted on 13 July 2018
Carrot or Courgette Cake
This is a vegetable cake, it can be nutty by adding the walnuts, or extra yummy by adding the optional cream cheese icing, which is completely delicious. If you have too many courgettes you can even add these instead of carrots.
Preparation: 20 minutes Cooking time: 50 minutes Serves: 8
8oz (225g) plain flour 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 floz (110ml) vegetable oil
6oz (175g) sugar
2 eggs 8oz (225g) grated carrots
4oz (110g) chopped walnuts – optional
4oz (110g) cream cheese
2oz (55g) soft butter
1 tsp vanilla flavouring
10oz (275g icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C /325°F/ gas mark 3.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon into a bowl. Mix
- In another large mixing bowl beat the eggs, add all the sugar and then slowly, little by little add the oil beating all the time. This may look a little odd but worry not as it will look better after you have added the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients, carrots and the nuts – if you are having nuts. Mix it all up.
- Pour the mixture into your tin and put it in the oven for 45 – 50 minutes, until it is golden brown and has passed the* cake cooked test.
- Take it out of the oven, allow it to cool for 20 minutes, before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- When it has cooled properly spread your icing on the top.
Cream together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla, when this is soft add in the icing sugar. It should have the consistency of very soft smooth butter.
Downloadable pdf for you to print here Carrot or Courgette Cake.
We would love to see your finished cakes. Post with @Haxnicks
May Edition: Grow your Christmas dinner
Since sowing the first of the Christmas vegetable seeds back in April lots of exciting developments should have happened and now plants some can be...Read More
Vegetable Gardening: How to Grow Mooli or White radish
Mooli is a type of radish, also known as white radish, daikon or Oriental radish. It is popular with both gardeners and cooks in China and Japan. ...Read More
Vegetable Gardening: What to Plant in August
August is still not too late in the year to plant vegetables especially with quick growing crops as the temperature during this period are often p...Read More