Carrot or Courgette Cake•
Posted on 13 July 2018
Carrot or Courgette Cake
This is a vegetable cake, it can be nutty by adding the walnuts, or extra yummy by adding the optional cream cheese icing, which is completely delicious. If you have too many courgettes you can even add these instead of carrots.
Preparation: 20 minutes Cooking time: 50 minutes Serves: 8
8oz (225g) plain flour 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 floz (110ml) vegetable oil
6oz (175g) sugar
2 eggs 8oz (225g) grated carrots
4oz (110g) chopped walnuts – optional
4oz (110g) cream cheese
2oz (55g) soft butter
1 tsp vanilla flavouring
10oz (275g icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C /325°F/ gas mark 3.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon into a bowl. Mix
- In another large mixing bowl beat the eggs, add all the sugar and then slowly, little by little add the oil beating all the time. This may look a little odd but worry not as it will look better after you have added the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients, carrots and the nuts – if you are having nuts. Mix it all up.
- Pour the mixture into your tin and put it in the oven for 45 – 50 minutes, until it is golden brown and has passed the* cake cooked test.
- Take it out of the oven, allow it to cool for 20 minutes, before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- When it has cooled properly spread your icing on the top.
Cream together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla, when this is soft add in the icing sugar. It should have the consistency of very soft smooth butter.
Downloadable pdf for you to print here Carrot or Courgette Cake.
We would love to see your finished cakes. Post with @Haxnicks
Grow at Home: Making leaf mould (or free compost!)
Leaf mould compost is also known as Gardeners Gold and is an amazing soil conditioner. It is that glorious stuff you find on forest floors created ...Read More
How to plant a hedge this Autumn
Hedges are something you might want to think about before you put your gardening feet up for the year. Everyone should have hedge ambitions – they ...Read More
Planting seeds in Autumn - what you can plant from Octobe...
Did you know that you could plant seeds in the autumn? Most won't do much over winter but get your timing right and you will have much earlier frui...Read More