Carrot or Courgette Cake•
Posted on 13 July 2018
Carrot or Courgette Cake
This is a vegetable cake, it can be nutty by adding the walnuts, or extra yummy by adding the optional cream cheese icing, which is completely delicious. If you have too many courgettes you can even add these instead of carrots.
Preparation: 20 minutes Cooking time: 50 minutes Serves: 8
8oz (225g) plain flour 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 floz (110ml) vegetable oil
6oz (175g) sugar
2 eggs 8oz (225g) grated carrots
4oz (110g) chopped walnuts – optional
4oz (110g) cream cheese
2oz (55g) soft butter
1 tsp vanilla flavouring
10oz (275g icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C /325°F/ gas mark 3.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon into a bowl. Mix
- In another large mixing bowl beat the eggs, add all the sugar and then slowly, little by little add the oil beating all the time. This may look a little odd but worry not as it will look better after you have added the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients, carrots and the nuts – if you are having nuts. Mix it all up.
- Pour the mixture into your tin and put it in the oven for 45 – 50 minutes, until it is golden brown and has passed the* cake cooked test.
- Take it out of the oven, allow it to cool for 20 minutes, before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- When it has cooled properly spread your icing on the top.
Cream together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla, when this is soft add in the icing sugar. It should have the consistency of very soft smooth butter.
Downloadable pdf for you to print here Carrot or Courgette Cake.
We would love to see your finished cakes. Post with @Haxnicks
Grow at Home: the best way to grow Sweet Peas
Sweet peas are gorgeous fragrant climbing plants that are great as cut flowers and a treat for the pollinators on your plot. They grow well in the...Read More
Product Bite: Big Ben architectural plant frame
What is the Big Ben Plant Frame : The Big Ben plant frame is a decorative plant support - perfect for climbing flowers like Sweet peas but also i...Read More
Grow at Home: Lockdown 3 homeschooling ideas - Gardening ...
Lockdown 1 'created' 3 million new gardeners. And if there is one positive of this whole situation this, and the chance to take time and grow thin...Read More